Cigar Types

cigar

Dark wrappers add a touch of sweetness, while light ones add a hint of dryness to the taste. It is commonly accepted that the wrapper contributes about 40% of the flavor, while the filler and binder contributes the other 60%. It is generally accepted that maduro cigars are stronger in flavor than the same cigar in a lighter wrapper, but this does not apply to all cigars.

Double Claro – Light green to yellow shade wrapper also called Candela. It is achieved by a heat-assisted quick-drying process. Such wrapper is characterized by a very mild flavor and slightly sweet taste.

Claro – Light tan wrapper. To achieve this color, tobacco is usually grown under shade tents, leaves are picked before they mature and are quickly air-dried. As a rule claro cigars are mild and smooth because the wrapper does not make an impact to the flavor.

Colorado – Medium-brown to reddish dark brown. Usually shade-grown and robust and rich in flavor.

Colorado Maduro – Dark brown, aromatic and rich medium flavor. The color shade is between Colorado and Maduro.

Maduro – Very dark reddish-brown to almost black. It is achieved either by “cooking” the leaves in a pressure chamber, or fermenting them for a longer period of time in very hot conditions. The wrapper usually sweet and indicates a strong flavor.

Oscuro – The darkest maduro wrapper, almost black. It means that the leaf was left on the plant and fermented the longest. The cigars are characterized by a full-bodied flavor. As a rule such wrappers are of Nicaraguan, Mexican or Brazilian origin.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *